Monday, April 19, 2010

It's Official!

Today, I officially accepted the 2nd grade bilingual teaching position!!! It took much thought and reflection but I am at peace with the decision I have made. I visited some of the bilingual classrooms (kindergarten, 3rd, and 4th) and had the pleasure of sitting in on a Reading Recovery session conducted totally in Spanish. The district places a strong focus on bilingual literacy and students are taught to read first in Spanish. It was incredible to see everything that I have learned and implemented myself about reading instruction (Running Record, reading prompts, Writer’s Workshop)! I am excited about teaching in both languages and fostering bi-literacy in my students.


In the second grade classroom, I will teach in English for 30% of the day (focusing on English Language Development) and Spanish for 70% of the day (Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies). This percentage breakdown may be altered to include a slightly higher percentage of English Language Development. My principal told me that because of my Reading endorsement, she thinks I would be a great fit at second grade, a grade at which data shows the bilingual students become stagnant in their English Reading scores. I am encouraged and eager to work toward this challenge.

The school staff was very friendly, but it always feels a little awkward stepping into a space that is not yet yours. I know how I felt before I became acclimated at the school at which I am student teaching, but now I feel such a strong connection to the incredible people I have been able to work with this year. I cannot wait to truly become a part of the staff.

I am truly blessed to have a full-time teaching position for next year. :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations and well done for making a decision. It sounds as though you've been building your toolbox and will begin creating your space quickly! Teaching is an incredible journey -- welcome to the full-time world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! We need more dedicated bilingual teachers like you. With your passion for teaching, you will become an important part of the staff in no time.

    Congratulations, teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow CONGRATS!!!! I think teaching at a bilingual school sounds awesome and 2nd grade is a really great age! I hope you keep up your blog so we can hear about how it goes!

    ReplyDelete