Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bundle of Emotion

I have been feeling a little overwhelmed and stressed lately. I just moved into my new apartment and have been busy unpacking and organizing. With school starting in 4 weeks, I am starting to feel the pressure of getting ready for this school year. I have so much stuff on my To-Do list but I have no clue where to begin. I have been working on my Classroom Management Plan and thinking through various routines and procedures. I am currently working on setting up my class newsletter and intro letter to my students' families. I have also spent quite a bit of time reviewing curriculum, but now I feel like I need to just start planning. I would love to meet with my grade level teachers but I do not know who they are (long story) and my principal and vice-principal are on maternity leave. Needless to say, I am a big bundle of emotions right now!!! Advice....suggestions on how to effectively navigate these next few weeks?

3 comments:

  1. What grade will you be teaching? Put your ideas for your first week into your blog and ask for feedback. After teaching many years, I can help you out once I see where you are going. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest two things. First, get your life in order. You won't be able to concentrate or be as effective if your life is a mess. Find someone to help you organize things, so you don't have to do it by yourself.
    Second, find your boss! If you can't find them, try and find someone who at least works at the school. You really need to get clarity on what's is expected of you this school year. For all you know there is a school wide classroom management plan or there is a set curriculum. Coming up with your own stuff right now may just be a redundant waste of time.
    www.theteachinggameblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryJo: I will do just that, but after I take Katie's advice and 'get my life in order'! Once I'm able to do that, I think I will be able to focus better on other tasks. I will be teaching a second grade bilingual classroom

    Katie: I'm pretty familiar with the curriculum, I know what I'm teaching, but I'm not so sure about the how. I want to meet with the grade level teachers because I don't want to be the one going against the grane. I have set up a meeting with the Literacy Coach to plan for the literacy block on August 4, so hopefully that will be an enlightening experience for me.

    *I will definitely keep everyone posted....I feel much better after simply blogging about how I feel...thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete